PureAware™ Smart Air Purification Service
PureAware vs. Other Filters
See how PureAware stacks up against HEPA filters, UV purifiers, and ionizers
Here’s how PureAware™ air filters stack up against other types of air purification technology.
Does it kill viruses, bacteria, and mold?
Yes! PureAware filters have been independently tested to remove up to 99.98% of airborne viruses and bacteria.
Yes. UVGI and UV-PCO have been tested to destroy certain viruses and bacteria with varied effectiveness.
Sometimes. Some ionizers can destroy certain microbes. Others produce negative ions that attach to airborne particles but don’t actually destroy them.
No. HEPA filters only catch particulate matter; they don’t destroy microbes. Viruses and bacteria can live for long periods of time on filter surfaces.
Does it filter the air?
Yes! PureAware filters remove 99.99% of PM2.5 and 99.97% of PM0.3 particulate matter.
No. UV light only deactivates airborne microbes. It does not remove particulate matter from the air.
Yes. Air ionizers can effectively remove particulate matter from the air when sized appropriately.
Yes. US-certified HEPA filters remove 99.97% of PM0.3 particulate matter. Some European standards only require 80% removal though, so check the label!
Is it safe for humans?
Yes! PureAware filters are designed to work in occupied spaces. They do not produce any negative byproducts or harmful matter.
Sometimes. Certain bands of UV light are safe. Most UV systems, however, can be harmful to humans during exposures strong enough to destroy microbes.
Sometimes. Air ionizers are generally safe, though almost all produce ozone, which is highly toxic to humans in sufficient concentrations.
Yes. HEPA filters are considered safe for humans. Care should be taken when changing filters, as they may host active viruses or bacteria.
Is it remotely monitored?
Yes! PureAware comes with professional remote monitoring, so you get automatic replacement filter deliveries and peace of mind.
??? We don’t know of any UV air purifiers that include remote monitoring.
??? We don’t know of any negative ion air purifiers that include remote monitoring.
??? We don’t know of any HEPA air filters that include remote monitoring.
When compared to ultraviolet air purifiers, negative air ionizers, and HEPA filters, PureAware™ is the only remotely monitored air purification service that is safe for humans, destroys up to 99.98% of microbes, and filters up to 99.97% of PM0.3 particulate matter.
For further reading, we invite you to consult these technical resources on the effectiveness of various air purification and filtration technologies:
- Technical Bulletin – PuraShield vs Ultraviolet Air Filtration Technology
- Technical Bulletin – PuraShield vs Ozone Generator Technology
- Ozone Generators that are Sold and Air Cleaners. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Accessed May 11th, 2020.
- University of California – Irvine. “Indoor Air Purifiers That Produce Even Small Amounts of Ozone May Be Risky For Health.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 2006.
- ASHRAE Position Document on Filtration and Air Cleaning. ASHRAE 2015
- Kowalski. Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Handbook. 2009. DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-01999-9
- C. diff Contamination Not Affected by Ultraviolet Disinfection Devices. Infection Control Today 2020, 24
- Ozone: Science & Engineering. 9 (4): 299–313.