California Operators Face New Regulations and Large Fines
New California Department of Conservation Geologic Energy Management Division (CalGEM) underground injection control (UIC) compliance regulations, effective April 1, 2019, impact ~55,000 enhanced recovery and water disposal wells in California.
Key elements of this new regulation include:
Operators must fully implement a continuous monitoring system no later than April 1, 2021. Fines for non-compliance are up to $25,000 per day per incident.
- Stronger testing requirements to identify potential leaks
- Increased data requirements to ensure proposed projects are fully evaluated
- Continuous pressure monitoring and recording requirements
- Requirements to automatically cease injection when there is a risk to safety or environment
- Requirements to disclose chemical additives for injection wells close to water supply wells